Tip of the Week

Roll with the punches! Life is gonna smack you right in the face when you don't expect it. If you're head's on straight, you're certainly gonna handle it just fine. Roll with it. Complain a little bit, and let it go.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Soapbox Sunday: Better Late than Never


HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

I'm incredibly late posting today. My show is starting tech week, and life is getting CRAZY. However, this is the way I like it. I wish all the weeks of my life could be this active, this inspiring, this moving and running forward and then when I get to the edge of the cliff I just let myself keep going and suddenly I'm falling so happily into something new. This is the way I am loving this week.

And in the midst of all this craziness, I'm doing the unthinkable: CONCENTRATING ON MY BODY.

I am always amazed at how little I know and more importantly, recognize about my own body and my own habits. How can someone live twenty-one years, consider themself very in touch with their inner personal state, and still not be able to stop shoving the Valentine's Chocolate Cake into her face? :) Amazing, right?

So here's what I learned this week.

1) I like to eat when I'm tired. My mind jumps immediately to food as a way of comforting myself after a long couple of days, and this past week, I certainly let myself fall into the late-night-eating trick. But recognition is an important step, and I curbed my tendency by the end of the week. When I'm tired, I get ready for bed and sleep. I don't need to eat in order to prep myself for rest. I need to wash my face and brush my teeth and put the dog on the end of the bed and close my eyes. So I do it.

2) Two weeks of healthy habits = healthy eating incredibly easy. It's been two weeks since I started my "diet." And by diet, I mean incredibly low grain, low sugar, low alcohol--the healthy essentials. I've lost 4.6 lbs, and more importantly, my body feels like it is active again. AGAIN. Finally. It may not be what I prefer, but it's not sitting on me anymore. It's moving with me. I once again recognize and find the best way to function in my body, with my organs, with my blood and bones and guts, and I'm using it to my advantage. I love making healthy food!

I've found that setting this ultimatum of "diet" has, by far, set me up for incredibly healthy choices. I take small, prepared meals with me to work and school. I carry fruit around for snacks. I eat healthy sized meals, and remember to stop eating when I'm full (mainly because I'm able to think ahead and remember that there's eventually going to be more food in my body later. ) :)

3. I slip up when there is a celebration, I've just accomplished something that makes me feel great, my schedule is thrown off (SNOW DAY!), or I just decide to bring a particular food into my house. I've not quite figured out how to solve these challenges entirely. Yes, I celebrated and ate a lot of sugar and drank two glasses of wine. Yes, I accomplished an entire run of the show, and only noticed my tendency to want to eat (I didn't act upon it.) And yes, having small bags of little Vday treats makes me want to eat them. (And I did...slowly....throughout the entire week....when I shouldn't have).

4. Can my body use this? <--was my mantra for last week. My body will take what it can from everything I put into it. After that, the rest becomes fat. And stays as fat until my body can use it. I began to think about whether or not I was hungry, and if I was---HOW hungry I was, and what calories I could consume in order to get the best nutrients into my system so the food didn't become an extra chunk on my lovely lady lumps. Gotta be smart about this. :D

Here's to another great week of body education!

No comments: