Tip of the Week

Roll with the punches! Life is gonna smack you right in the face when you don't expect it. If you're head's on straight, you're certainly gonna handle it just fine. Roll with it. Complain a little bit, and let it go.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Thursday Things Thin Girls Know: Jennifer

Today's Thin Girl is one with a completely different story than any other featured Thin Girl. Miss Jennifer Brindley, author of the blog "Ex-Hot Girl" and a constant, current, this-is-my-life-and-this-is-how-I'm-just-doing-it inspiration drops in with us to share her advice on how it feels working towards her goals. Thank God. I mean, I literally read her website every one-two days. I am totally in to her honest tale, zero simpering. Way to set a standard, Jennifer. So, here she is! And check out her blog, Ex-Hot Girl, and then on to her totally amazing and super chic work at JBe Photography.




1. As a thin girl, what advice would you give to anyone losing weight?

Wow! Well, first of all, I don't relate to the term "thin," and definitely don't consider myself to be that.



I have lost a substantial amount of weight over the last five months, but still am not to goal yet. And even when I hit my goal, I won't be "thin," but rather hope I'll be healthy instead.


The best advice I can give is to find the eating plan that works best for you. Being active is a good thing, but it never did the trick for me, personally, in terms of weight loss. Find an eating plan you can stick with permanently, and don't cheat. And since nobody is perfect, be aware that you most likely will slip on that eating plan once or twice. When it happens, don't give up. Don't throw the rest of your day or week out the window because you "already messed up." Just get right back on the horse and keep going.


2. How do you feel about your body?

Phew. Well, I like it much more these days now that I've lost weight. I really struggle with body image, and I'm sure that many people do. In fact, I'm pretty sure most women do. I have to work every day at loving myself regardless of what size I am or how my pants fit that day. Self-love is something we all should work toward.


3. What is the one habit you swear by?

Cutting carbs. Seriously. Now, everyone's body is different, but I recently found out that each gram of carbohydrate holds on to 4 grams of water. I ate Taco Bell a few days ago, then had a pasta soup for dinner. After not eating carbohydrates (in the form of bread, pasta, potatoes, crackers, etc) for two months... it put four pounds of water weight on me. I'm working on getting the water weight to drop back off. Oh, and coffee. Coffee curbs hunger, so if you find you're a habitual snacker, a cup of coffee will help cravings pass and the hungry feeling to subside. At least, it does for me!


4. What are you currently fascinated with?


Aside from John Mayer? Well, I suppose the fascination I have for eating disorders still continues. Though I might regret calling it a "fascination," because that word holds sort of a positive spin to it, and I definitely don't feel positively about eating disorders. But, I can't stop reading memoirs written by women who have gone through it. We all can relate to feeling poorly about ourselves or out of control with our weight or food issues. The fact that those women have such a sickness... it breaks my heart. Reading their stories of struggle and overcoming the adversity really gives me hope, and reminds me of how grateful I am to have simply been a fat girl instead of an eating disordered one.

No comments: