Tip of the Week

Roll with the punches! Life is gonna smack you right in the face when you don't expect it. If you're head's on straight, you're certainly gonna handle it just fine. Roll with it. Complain a little bit, and let it go.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Watson Wednesday: Bras and Bodies


I may not know much about how to dress myself, but I do know a good deal about bras. Great, good for me, big pat on the back, if all else fails I can always look good strutting my business in a cutie bra and panty set. But since I don't see incarceration in my future, I actually don't think I'll do that anytime soon. I've been working at Victoria's Secret for almost a year and in that time have learned myself a thing or two about what a bra looks like when it actually fits. Did you know that over 70% of women aren't wearing the right bra size? Now the company gives us that number and I don't know how they've managed to calculate it, but I can tell you from my own experience that it's a surprisingly common problem. How can you ever expect to fit into your clothes, nay, feel sassy and sexy in your clothes if the foundation of the outfit is popping your hoo-ha's all over the place? I have to be polite at work, but the same rules don't apply here, GO GET A BRA FITTING!!!! Even if you "know" you're in the right size, a pound lost or gained can make a huge difference, you may get a little surprise.

So my wardrobing tip of the week:
Go to a VS store, head on back to the fitting room, ask to be fitted, and ask to see the Bra Wardrobing Box in your size. This is an easy and efficient way to go through the bras in the store, try on a bunch of styles, and see what you like! Be sure to ask for help, even if you don't think you need it, make sure they're fitting correctly. You will be glad you did.

On to appetite. As you may recall I made a dainty little promise to criss cross pizza, candy, and baked goods off my grocery list. Well... in the course of three weeks I have successfully, utterly, and completely failed at this goal. Not sort of, I didn't slip up "once in awhile", nope, it was pretty much every day. Not only am I a repeat offender, I am a deliberate repeat offender. But it hasn't been a complete fiasco! Nay, nay, nay. I've discovered that I have a truly remarkable talent for rhetoric and justification which I successfully developed in the many hours I spent deliberating over food. I should be a lawyer. For example: Apparently donuts don't count as baked goods. Who knew? Next on the list, this is a good one, Godiva truffles don't count as candy and California Pizza Kitchen pizza doesn't count as (you guessed it!) pizza.

Driving home from Denver tonight, I had a good long thinky think about this little dilemma. For the the life of me I can't figure it out. Candy, sweets, and baked goods are absolutely delicious in moderation, but after truffle number six they just don't taste good and they make you sick too. So why do I continue on to number seven, eight, nine? I don't want to cut out candy, baked goods, and pizza, what I really want from this little challenge is an appreciation for moderation. What I really want is to appreciate one truffle without feeling like I need to fill some gaping hole with five more. One truffle is so much better than a box full. Clearly, I am still working on this goal. The cold turkey endeavor failed, but I haven't given up. I'm on a search for appreciation and I'm not stopping until I find it!

Your Wicked Workout Partner,

L. Watson


P.S. from Allyson--I made that cookie in the photo. Isn't if funnier because it's got a few pounds to lose? Isn't it funnier because it's in a tiny bathing suit? Yes. Yes, it is.

On a second note--Miss Watson and I had a little chatty-chat about this here dilemma she be facing, yo. I have also been suffering from "Poor Delicious Things Moderation." In other words, I'm great on my diet, but as soon as I'm hungry enough to decide to eat a little chocolate or half a cookie, that baby is GONE and I'm totally off into an orbit of incredibly poor, calorie-laden eating choices. UGH.


My diet has been focusing on proportions lately. That is where the "Moderation" bit comes in. I could see where, if you HAVE to eat Oreo cookies, it would be easy to have two after dinner today, knowing that you're going to get two more tomorrow. No need to stockpile them all into your stomach today.


But there is a word of caution to this tale--if you're gonna have a treat, make sure you do it on a stomach that is full of healthy food already. Pigging out on treats is a surefire combination of undereating and cravings--you aren't getting enough nutrition already, and your body's senses go crazy when they hit the sweet stuff. Be smart about your sweets.

No comments: